Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Grace is 15 Months Old!

As hard as it is for us to believe, Grace is 15 months old today! Where has the time gone? It seems as though every month goes by faster than the one before. As I'm feeling that ironic combination of happiness and sadness today that only parents understand, I've been thinking about something someone said to me this summer that has stuck with me.

"You only get one chance with your kids."

That's one of the most profound things anyone has said to me in awhile. It's such a short sentence, yet it packs a punch. I've repeated those words to myself many times lately, reminding myself that each and every day of Grace's life is a precious gift, and I need to cherish each moment with her.

As I've been reflecting on what it means to only have one chance to be a good Mom, a new song came out on the Christian radio station that brought me into a deeper understanding of that powerful statement. The song is called "One Life to Love," and the chorus goes like this:

"You only get just one time around. You only get one shot at this, one chance to find out the one thing that you don't want to miss. One day when it's all said and done, I hope you see that it was enough, this one ride, one try, one life to love."

What an awesome way to restate the old cliche of living everyday to the fullest! Let's all strive to love this one life we have and to be thankful daily for all the ways we've been blessed.

No comments: