Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Grace's New Tricks

When my brother, Brian, visited on Friday, he asked if Grace could do any tricks yet. Newborns often seem boring to people because they don't do much except sleep, eat, and poop. The first couple weeks of Grace's life, that's about all she did. (And she seemed to poop A LOT, especially while having her already poopy diaper changed!)

After just three weeks, I'm amazed everyday by how much Grace is growing and changing. She stays awake longer each day and is starting to be more aware of her surroundings. When I read to her, she seems to be paying attention and looks at the pictures. I love when her eyes meet mine, and I feel like we're communicating without saying a word. I feel confident that she knows how much we love her.

She is getting really strong. You should feel her grip! She's one tough little girl :) And her little legs spend a lot of time kicking every day, especially during tummy time. It seems like she's thinking about crawling already. I have so much fun watching her on her tummy, as she lifts her head and furiously kicks those cute little legs.

Yet, in spite of all these "new tricks," her greatest tricks (and the ones we seem to talk about most), involve pooping. Yesterday, when I was changing her, she literally covered my hand with poop as I was wiping her. Not only did the poop get all over my hand and the changing table, but it exploded onto the floor as well, leaving several "splatter stains." It entertains me how poop has entered into our daily conversations ever since Grace's arrival :) I guess that's what happens when you have kids...no topic is off limits anymore!

No comments: