Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Our Growing Girl

Grace went to the pediatrician this afternoon. We were so anxious to see how much Grace had grown since her last appointment two weeks ago. At her last appointment, she weighed 5 lbs, 10 oz. We were shocked today when they weighed her -- she gained a whole pound! Grace is now 6 lbs, 10 oz, and she grew a quarter of an inch, making her 19.75 inches! She's growing so fast. We are in awe of our growing baby girl :-)

The doctor's appointment was quite an ordeal. Lindsey accompanied me, which was great. I was so thankful for the emotional support. Grace slept the whole way there, but made quite a stink just after arriving. I changed her, and she was good to go once again. When we got into the exam room, the nurse asked me to undress her so they could get her "naked weight." When I took her diaper off, I found another surprise. I cleaned that one up and put her on the scale to get her weight. She squirmed around a LOT and then proceeded to pee on the scale! Hilarious...

I put a new diaper on, but Grace was not a happy camper. As we waited for the doctor to come in, she threw one of her best temper tantrums yet, despite my best efforts to cuddle her. When the doctor arrived, she examined Grace, and Grace responded by letting the doctor hear the full capacity of her little lungs! Grace then pooped yet again, so we were on to diaper #3 of the doctor's visit! As the doctor finished up and assured me that Grace is doing great, she told me that Grace had to have a newborn screening before she left. The nurse came in and said I had to hold Grace while she took blood from her foot for the screening. It took about 30 minutes and a needle stick in each foot to get the blood they needed for the test. Grace screamed at the top of her lungs through the entire ordeal! Miraculously, I made it through without crying, although it took all my willpower :-)

No comments: