Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to My Mom!

Happy Mother's Day to Moms everywhere! What an awesome day to honor the women who gave us life and then proceed to give so much of themselves for their families!

To honor my own Mom, who is the most amazing woman I know, here's a top ten list of my favorite Mom moments:

1. The day she met Grace. I will never forget that first moment, sharing my own beautiful daughter with my Mom.

2. The first few weeks Mom spent with us after Grace was born. As a first time Mom, I was so thankful to have a pro with me during those early weeks of Grace's life. She took exceptional care of me when I had some post C-section sickness, all the while loving on her new grandbaby and making us both feel like the world revolved around us. Mom has a way of making everyone feel that way. It's a gift.

3. The sweet signs and cards she's made for Grace during the last year. She's not only the perfect Mom, she's also the perfect Nana. From the "Happy Birthday" signs for each month to the cards for every first holiday, Mom thinks of everything.

4. The notes Mom used to put in my lunch everyday. Mom was always famous among my friends for the wonderful lunches she always made for me. Her sandwiches are the BEST, and I got lots of trade offers, but never would give up Mom's yummy food! To add a special touch to every lunch, she always put a note in my lunchbox with her trademark smiley face :-) Those notes made my day, even during those brutal teenage years, when I caused my parents so many headaches!

5. When Mom helped me put on my pantyhose for Prom. I got my nails done for the first time, and being the tomboy that I was, I was helpless with those stupid nails. Mom helped me put on my pantyhose so I wouldn't tear them and only teased me a little bit about it later ;-)

6. Writing essays when my behavior warranted such a punishment. I know it's shocking, but I wasn't the easiest kid to raise, especially during my teenage years. But Mom loved me through it all and used her favorite punishment often. I wrote quite a few essays about lessons I learned the hard way. At the time, I hated writing those essays, but I realize now that those essays forced me to really think about what I'd done wrong, which is something I doubt I would have done with just traditional punishment like getting grounded.

7. Speaking of getting grounded...no wait, that's not on my top ten list of favorite Mom moments. That's a different list ;-) Seriously, #7 is those early years when Mom served as my Girl Scout Troop leader. We had a lot of good times, selling cookies, working toward badges, and singing silly songs! Mom was the best troop leader, and all the girls agreed!

8. When Mom would say she felt sorry for the other team after a big softball win for my team! I got my competitive nature from my Dad, but Mom taught me compassion and humility in victory. Back then I used to laugh at those statements, but I came to understand her point of view in times of defeat.

9. Sharing my birthday with Mom during many Mother's Day/Birthday weekend celebrations. I was born the day before Mother's Day, so Mom and I always share our special weekend. This year it means even more, as I celebrate Mother's Day with a daughter of my own.

10. The many life lessons Mom has taught me during the last (almost) 29 years. I learned more than my share of lessons the hard way, but Mom was always there to help me pick up the pieces and learn valuable lessons. I know that I'm able to be the Mother I am today because I've had the most fantastic example of motherhood from my own Mom. Not everyone is so lucky, and I realize how incredibly blessed I am. Of all the lessons I've learned from Mom, I know the most important is to be a woman of faith. Our faith has helped us both to weather many storms and to be thankful for all the good things in our lives. Life is good, and Mom has taught me to approach everyday with faith, hope, love, and a hearty sense of humor!

Here's to you, Mom! Thanks for everything :-) I love you so much!

No comments: