Monday, May 12, 2008

I’m glad you were born!

Today I celebrate my own birthday! I’ve always loved having a May birthday, especially on a day that always falls on or close to Mother’s Day. Now that I’m a Mom myself, my own birthday is even more special. I’ve never been a huge birthday person, except when I was a kid and had awesome slumber parties with my best girl friends! For the last ten years or so, I’ve been rather anti-birthday. But this year my birthday has taken on a whole new meaning.

I’ve been thinking about how special birthdays are for parents. The day your child is born remains forever imprinted on your mind and in your heart. Grace’s birthday was the best day of my life, followed closely by the day I met my husband. So today I’m not as indifferent about getting a year older. I realize what a miracle every life is, and I’m thankful that my parents loved each other enough to bring me into the world.

I’m the big 2-9 now…I embark on my final year of my twenties! It’s been one heckofa decade. I marvel at all that’s happened in my life during these years. The last three years have been the most wonderful…from meeting Martin on that fateful day, June 3, 2005, to now. When I take time to slow down and look back, all I can say is, “WOW!” I’ve found a level of happiness I never knew existed. I’m living my own fairytale.

During my time in Phoenix, I met one of the coolest chicks I know. Now when my birthday rolls around, I know I’ll hear from her, and she’ll say one of my favorite things. Today around lunchtime I got that call and heard, “I’m glad you were born.” And she followed it up with, “and I bet Martin and Grace are glad you were born too.” Today I rejoice because I was born. I AM glad I was born, and I’m glad my husband and beautiful daughter were born too. Happy Birthday to Me!!!

No comments: