Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Tale of the Tiny Diaper

It was a normal night in the Fogarty home. We fed Grace, ate dinner, and enjoyed each other's company. Grace was busy crawling and cruising (using the furniture to help her walk around the living room) and even testing out her ability to stand on her own. She tentatively let go of the couch and stood all by herself, then slowly sat down as if the standing had worn her out. Martin and I were engaging in our usual, "look at her" and "check out what she's doing now," as we do every evening. We are constantly in awe, as Grace learns new things, tests her limits, and explores the world around her.

In the midst of all this, we were also trying to clean the house since we have friends staying with us tomorrow night. As I was cleaning the dining room, I found Grace's travel diaper changer, which I keep in the basket under the jogging stroller. I haven't used it in ages and thought I should get it out for our trip to Philly next week. When I opened it, I got all teary when I found two newborn diapers inside. When I showed them to Martin, we both got pretty emotional as we remembered when Grace was small enough to fit into them.

In that moment, a flood of memories came back to me, and I remembered how big the newborn diapers were on Grace at the beginning. We actually had to get her premie diapers for the first few weeks! Now here we are...less than two weeks away from her first birthday, and she's wearing size 4 diapers, pulling up, and learning to stand on her own. This time is precious, and it is flying by right before our very eyes.

No comments: