Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grace Visits the Texas State Capitol

Today Grace, along with the family, visited the Texas State Capitol. She says she was impressed by the fact that the Texas Capitol is the only state capitol in the U.S. that is taller than the National Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. by almost fifteen feet. We enjoyed our visit there and are looking forward to showing the family some of the other cool Texas sites during their time with us in this great state!

So what else have we been up to since the family arrived from Ireland? On Sunday, we went on a river boat cruise on Town Lake (recently renamed Lady Bird Lake) here in Austin. My parents came to town and watched Grace, so the rest of us could go on the cruise. The boat had a BYOB policy, so we all enjoyed a few cold beverages while we took in the sites. It was freakin' hot so we were glad to have some beers to keep us happy.

On Monday, I had to leave for a work retreat that lasted until Tuesday. It was my first night away from Grace since she was born, and it was not easy. I had a hard time leaving her, and I cried during most of my drive to the retreat center. I'm pleased to say that I made it through, although I woke up at least five times during the night missing my baby girl. Martin and his family took good care of her while I was away, and I was thankful for that.

On Tuesday evening, we went to see the infamous Congress Avenue bats in downtown Austin. Basically, there's a bridge where more than a million bats live, and they fly out from under the bridge at dusk. We went to see this bizarre phenomenon and ended our night with ice cream from Dairy Queen.

Lastly, today we went to Mass for the Holy Day and then visited the Capitol. Then tonight our brother-in-law, Willie, arrived from Ireland, so we picked him up from the airport and had dinner and beers at home. It was yet another good day! Let the good times roll :-)

No comments: