Monday, October 1, 2007

Hardest Day Ever

Today was Grace's first day of day care. It was one of the toughest days of my life. I started crying last night, cried myself to sleep, and cried most of the day today. Heart-wrenching.

My Mom friends told me that it would be way harder on me than it was on Grace. I'd say that was true. Grace seemed to adjust nicely to her new surroundings, which we expected, because she's been such a flexible baby so far. Martin and I went together this morning to drop her off. I'm certain I couldn't have done that on my own the first day. I needed someone to do the talking because I was crying too much to form a sentence. Martin was my rock. He handled everything and comforted me as well. He's the best.

Thank goodness, the day care is close to where I work, so I can go see her at lunchtime and can get there quickly if needed (like when I'm really missing my sweet girl). Even though I struggled with her first day, I trust that she will be well cared for at her day care because I have a good friend who has been thrilled with the care her daughter has received there. Without her personal reference, I would have been even more of a mess today.

We made it through day one, and I know we'll continue to adjust each day. Leaving your child in anyone else's care isn't easy, but it's an unavoidable reality. I have to keep reminding myself that I survived day care, and millions of others have too. Grace will be fine, and we'll continue to cherish every second we spend with her. Our time with our sweet girl is precious, even more so now that Martin and I are both working full-time.

No comments: