Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Grace is 7 Months Old!

Today Grace Calleigh is 7 months old! Since May 26th, our lives have never been better!

There's a new ad campaign with the slogan, "Having a baby changes everything." Talk about hitting the nail on the head! For us, every change has been an adventure, and we cherish Grace more and more each day.

The other day I was talking with one of my "Mommy friends" about watching Grace grow up and how I just wish I could slow things down and have more time to take in every smile, every giggle, and every second of her life. We talked about how, as parents, we have a certain level of anxiety about the unknown, about what's next for our child. For example, we think ahead to our kids walking, then running, and the fear of them falling down. We fast forward to them learning how to ride a bike and eventually teaching them to drive. Somehow we can't help but worry about the future, even as we strive to live for today.

My friend gave me hope when she told me that, in her experience, when the "next step" arrives, it's almost always better than you expect, and you adjust and continue to marvel at what your child learns along the way. For me, I find the greatest challenge in my seven months as a Mom is to know when to hold on and when to let go, and I think that's a challenge we all face in our lives, whether as parents, husbands or wives, friends, or employees. I have found that when I most want to hold on and keep things as they are, that's when I most need to "let go and let God." As much as we fight it, change is good, and it's part of life. And as we change, we grow and become the women and men God intended for us to be.

No comments: